Jeffrey Emery Sterling, MD, MPH, FACEP
Dr. Jeffrey Sterling is a leader in community-based medicine, health care, organizational operations and efficiency. He serves as President and CEO of Sterling Initiatives (SI), an international healthcare consulting and implementation firm that provides entities with clinical, operational and financial best practices. SI has assisted health systems, health plans, state governments and medical practices in three-dozen states and countries. He also serves as President & CEO of Sterling Medical Advice, an international public health initiative and call center providing personal and immediate healthcare information and advice to consumers and clients. In addition, Dr. Sterling is President of 72 Hours Life, a lifestyle community that promotes and teaches greater efficiency as a means of improving quality of life.
Dr. Sterling is author of the popular daily healthcare blog, ‘Straight, No Chaser’ at jeffreysterlingmd.com, the books Behind the Curtain – A Peek at Life from within the ER, the efficiency series 72 Hours in a Day – Using Efficiency to Better Enjoy Every Part of Your Life and the new release Voices and Visions, the Evolution of the Black Experience at Northwestern University.
- Dr. Sterling served as President of the Northwestern University Black Alumni Association between 2014-2018, representing over 4800 alumni nationally organized in 29 local chapters. As such he was the co-founder of the first Archive of the Black Experience at Northwestern University, Executive Producer of the documentary The Takeover – The Revolution of the Black Experience at Northwestern University, creator of the NUBAA Achievement Scholarship (which in just two years raised over $150,000 in gifts and pledges for Black students), and co-author of the first book on Northwestern’s Black history, titled Voices and Visions: The Evolution of the Black Experience at Northwestern University.
- Dr. Sterling founded the Minority Association of Pre-health Students, a national organization of premedical and other health career aspirants with chapters in over 300 colleges nationally.
- Dr. Sterling has served as CEO, Senior VP, Corporate Medical Officer, National Physician Practice Director, and Regional Medical Director for various health care contract management groups, and as Medical Director for 17 Emergency Medical System units and Home Health Companies.
- Dr. Sterling has served as Chairman and/or Medical Director of the Departments of Emergency Medicine at Level I Trauma Emergency Departments in Metropolitan DC (Prince George’s Hospital Center), Fort Worth (JPS Health Network) and Milwaukee (St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center).
- Dr. Sterling founded DFW Urgent Care, a series of award-winning urgent care centers in Texas, New York and California providing quality equivalent, cost-effective care alternatives to hospital ERs.
- Dr. Sterling founded the JPS Health Network’s Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) program in Texas and created the first SANE program in the state of Connecticut at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center (CCMC). Sterling Initiatives prevented the closure of CCMC in 2005.
- Dr. Sterling founded US Asthma Care, a series of outcomes based, best-practice Disease Management treatment facilities in Texas and Illinois working with Health Plans to reduce hospitalization and improve clinical outcomes among asthmatics.
- Dr. Sterling founded and served as Medical Director of the Covenant Healthcare Asthma Clinics in Milwaukee, then the largest asthma education clinic in Wisconsin.
- Dr. Sterling has served on the Board of the Asthma & Allergy Foundation of America, Texas Chapter and the American Lung Association, Central States Region.
- Dr. Sterling served as Chairman of the DFW Minority Business Council’s Health Industry Group, a consortium of over seventy healthcare business enterprises across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. He currently serves in the same capacity for the Illinois Black Chamber of Commerce’s Health Industry Group.
Dr. Sterling has degrees from Northwestern University, The Harvard School of Public Health (with concentrations in Health Policy & Management), and the University of Illinois College Of Medicine. He completed his Emergency Medicine Residency at Chicago’s Cook County Hospital. He has received executive education from Dartmouth College’s Tuck School of Business. He is a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Sterling is a speaker in high demand on topics of Medicine, Health Care, Public Health, productivity and efficiency, having delivered over one thousand lectures nationally since 2000 and a TedX talk in 2017.