Straight, No Chaser: Driving Under the Influence and New Year's Eve
Celebrating New Year’s Eve? As I am known to say: risks represent incidences of occurrences. Today of all days during the year, you must act to lower your risk of a fatal motor vehicle crash due to alcohol or drugs. Remember: it’s not just your behavior that places you at risk, but the others with whom you’ll be sharing the road. Please recall that alcohol is a central nervous system depressant that slows down brain function, including reaction time, information-processing skills and hand-eye coordination. This affects judgment, concentration, comprehension, sight and coordination, all of which means you’re much more likely to crash a car if you’ve been using any type of drug.
You’d do well to know a few FACTS about driving under the influence of alcohol or other drugs (Courtesy of National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence).
- FACT: Approximately 30 people a day die from motor vehicle crashes in which a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This is about one death every 51 minutes.
- FACT: An estimated 32% of fatal car crashes involve an intoxicated driver or pedestrian.
- FACT: Car crashes are the leading cause of death for teens, and about a quarter of those crashes involve an underage drinking driver.
- FACT: 3,952 fatally injured drivers tested positive for drug involvement.
- FACT: Over 1.2 million drivers are arrested annually for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.
- FACT: On average, two in three people will be involved in a drunk driving crash in their lifetime.
Tonight is not the night for debate; all of the above facts will become magnified tonight. Driving under the influence is a crime, and you know the police will be monitoring the roads. Avoid driving if you can. If you are driving, don’t drink, use marijuana, alcohol or any other drugs. The life you save may be your own. I hope to see you safe and healthy in the New Year.
Feel free to ask your SMA expert consultant any questions you may have on this topic.
Take the #72HoursChallenge, and join the community. As a thank you for being a valued subscriber to Straight, No Chaser, we’d like to offer you a complimentary 30-day membership at www.72hourslife.com. Just use the code #NoChaser, and yes, it’s ok if you share!
Order your copy of Dr. Sterling’s new books There are 72 Hours in a Day: Using Efficiency to Better Enjoy Every Part of Your Life and The 72 Hours in a Day Workbook: The Journey to The 72 Hours Life in 72 Days at Amazon or at www.72hourslife.com. Receive introductory pricing with orders!
Thanks for liking and following Straight, No Chaser! This public service provides a sample of what http://www.SterlingMedicalAdvice.com (SMA) and 844-SMA-TALK offers. Please share our page with your friends on WordPress, like us on Facebook @ and follow us on Twitter at @asksterlingmd.
Copyright © 2017 · Sterling Initiatives, LLC · Powered by WordPress