Straight, No Chaser In The News: U.S. Life Expectancy Drops for the Second Straight Year
Imagine how significant the change must be to cause a change across a nation of over 360 million people. For the second straight year (after two decades of trending in the opposite direction), the life expectancy in the United States has dropped. Here are the numbers, according to the National Center for Health Statistics.
- American can now, on average, expect to live 78.6 years.
- The average for women is 81.1 years.
- The average for men is 76.1 years.
In case you’re wondering, here’s the 2016 list for the ten most common causes of death (which account for 74.1% of all deaths in the US), in order of frequency (yes, the flu is a top ten cause of death).
- Heart disease (decreased)
- Cancer (decreased)
- Unintentional injuries (increased)
- Chronic lower respiratory disease, including asthma and COPD (decreased)
- Stroke (decreased)
- Alzheimer’s disease (increased)
- Diabetes (decreased)
- Influenza (decreased)
- Pneumonia (decreased)
- Kidney disease (decreased)
- Suicide (increased)
Here are two other notable facts:
- By far, heart disease and cancer are still the top causes of death in both sexes, so your behavior (both positive and negative) related to diet and exercise still are your best path forward.
- The massive increases in death due to unintentional injuries such as opiate (narcotic) overdose do not appear to be declining anytime soon.
Data for different ethnicities was not included in this report.
Feel free to ask your SMA expert consultant any questions you may have on this topic.
Take the #72HoursChallenge, and join the community. As a thank you for being a valued subscriber to Straight, No Chaser, we’d like to offer you a complimentary 30-day membership at www.72hourslife.com. Just use the code #NoChaser, and yes, it’s ok if you share!
Order your copy of Dr. Sterling’s new books There are 72 Hours in a Day: Using Efficiency to Better Enjoy Every Part of Your Life and The 72 Hours in a Day Workbook: The Journey to The 72 Hours Life in 72 Days at Amazon or at www.jeffreysterlingbooks.com. Receive introductory pricing with orders!
Thanks for liking and following Straight, No Chaser! This public service provides a sample of what http://www.SterlingMedicalAdvice.com (SMA) and 844-SMA-TALK offers. Please share our page with your friends on WordPress, like us on Facebook @ and follow us on Twitter at @asksterlingmd.
Copyright © 2017 · Sterling Initiatives, LLC · Powered by WordPress