Straight, No Chaser: Are You Depressed and/or Suicidal?
In our first post on clinical depression and suicide, we looked at the scope of the disease, and in the next post we will provide tips for you to address depression and an inclination toward suicide. In this post, we carefully tread onto your tendencies that may clue you into the need for help. Remember that 844-SMA-TALK and http://www.sterlingmedicaladvice.com provides crisis mental health services for those in need.
I have a strong distaste for do-it-yourself websites that want to ‘screen’ you for depression. Folks, if you’re wondering whether you’re clinically depressed, you don’t need validation from some makeshift online questionnaire. That said, if you’d like to learn something, go ahead and find one. More importantly, seek assistance immediately from a qualified counselor or therapist. They do wonderful work and can get through to you before you get to yourself. Instead of a quiz, I will simply give you common signs and symptoms consistent with the diagnosis. Note the progression in the symptoms. The bottom line is: odds are, you already know if you need help. Yes, there are different depression syndromes; I’m not getting into that. You and a psychiatrist or therapist can sort that out. Don’t be reassured by a quiz when you already know better.
You may be depressed if…
- You feel sad, hopeless, empty, or numb to the point where you wallow in these emotions, and they dominate your existence.
- You have a loss of interest in your normal activities of daily living. It’s not just that you don’t enjoy things. You don’t even want to be bothered with them. You don’t want sex. You don’t enjoy your friends. You don’t want recreation. You can’t eat. You can’t sleep, or you can’t stop sleeping. You can’t breathe (because of your crippling anxiety). You might actually be depressed if you have these symptoms and didn’t get the ideas from listening to the lyrics of a Toni Braxton song.
- You find yourself exceedingly irritable and/or anxious. These feelings are explosive and over the top. You’re waiting, ready and looking for a reason to embrace gloom, doom or anger.
- You have difficulty moving forward and making decisions. This occurs for many reasons. Your attention may be shot. Your interests aren’t there. You’re overwhelmed. Stuck in a rut is not only where you are, it’s where you want to be.
- You feel worthless and blame yourself for any and everything. Again, these feelings are explosive, dramatic and over the top.
- You have thoughts of death and suicide. This is where things get beyond scary. You may simply have a passive wishing that things would end and a belief that your friends, family and the rest of the world would be ‘better off’ without you. You may have fleeting voices that aren’t your own suggesting or commanding suicide as an option. You may see visions of people telling you to harm yourself. You may have an active plan. When depression gets to this point, nothing good is going to happen without intervention. Never allow someone to make such comments and then pretend as if they were insincere.
- Problems with one’s intimate partner
- Problems with one’s physical health
- Problems with one’s job
- Problems with one’s finances
You will have a lot better chance getting someone help at a warning stage than preventing someone from doing something once they have a weapon in their hands. Approximately 30% of suicides result after the individual has expressed an intent to do so. Listen up… Take the signs of depression and any expressed thoughts of suicide seriously.
Feel free to ask your SMA expert consultant any questions you may have on this topic.
Take the #72HoursChallenge, and join the community. As a thank you for being a valued subscriber to Straight, No Chaser, we’d like to offer you a complimentary 30-day membership at www.72hourslife.com. Just use the code #NoChaser, and yes, it’s ok if you share!
Order your copy of Dr. Sterling’s new books There are 72 Hours in a Day: Using Efficiency to Better Enjoy Every Part of Your Life and The 72 Hours in a Day Workbook: The Journey to The 72 Hours Life in 72 Days at Amazon or at www.72hourslife.com. Receive introductory pricing with orders!
Thanks for liking and following Straight, No Chaser! This public service provides a sample of what http://www.SterlingMedicalAdvice.com (SMA) and 844-SMA-TALK offers. Please share our page with your friends on WordPress, like us on Facebook @ and follow us on Twitter at @asksterlingmd.
Copyright © 2017 · Sterling Initiatives, LLC · Powered by WordPress