Straight, No Chaser: Cigar Smoking
Since you have little old me taking on an $8 billion a year industry and the wrath of the very passionate, I have no recourse but to arm myself with some data – cold, hard facts.
- 49% of all cigars sold are large cigars. A single large cigar contains as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes.
- Cigar use is on the rise, with over 13 million people identifying as current users.
- 15% of male students in grades 9-12 are current users.
- African-Americans have the highest rate of cigar smoking (among ethnicities/races), with a 7.7% user rate.
You want to know the effects of cigar smoking? Let’s cut to the chase.
Here are the five “SURGEON GENERAL WARNING” text-only labels, one of which must be displayed on all cigar packaging and advertisements. This is done on a rotating basis.
- Cigar Smoking Can Cause Cancers Of The Mouth and Throat, Even if You Do Not Inhale.
- Cigar Smoking Can Cause Lung Cancer and Heart Disease.
- Tobacco Use Increases the Risk of Infertility, Stillbirth and Low Birth Weight.
- Cigars Are Not A Safe Alternative To Cigarettes.
- Tobacco Smoke Increases The Risk of Lung Cancer And Heart Disease, Even In Nonsmokers.
Beyond what the Surgeon General requires, here are some additional facts:
- All tobacco smoke contains more than 60 chemicals that can cause cancer, and cigar smoke is no exception.
- Regular cigar smoking increases your risk for the following cancers: lung, esophagus, larynx (your voice box), and oral cavity (lips, tongue, mouth and throat).
- Cigar smoking is linked to gum disease and tooth decay and loss.
- In addition to lung cancer, heavy cigar smoking increases the risk for emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
The bottom line?
Cigar smoking is not a safe alternative to cigarette smoking.
There is no level of cigar smoking that does not pose health risks.
As always, it’s not my chore to convince you to do or not to do; freedom of choice is a beautiful thing. That said, be advised that if you read this blog, you will be an informed consumer.
Feel free to ask your SMA expert consultant any questions you may have on this topic.Take the #72HoursChallenge, and join the community. As a thank you for being a valued subscriber to Straight, No Chaser, we’d like to offer you a complimentary 30-day membership at www.72hourslife.com. Just use the code #NoChaser, and yes, it’s ok if you share!
Order your copy of Dr. Sterling’s new books There are 72 Hours in a Day: Using Efficiency to Better Enjoy Every Part of Your Life and The 72 Hours in a Day Workbook: The Journey to The 72 Hours Life in 72 Days at Amazon or at www.72hourslife.com. Receive introductory pricing with orders!
Thanks for liking and following Straight, No Chaser! This public service provides a sample of what http://www.SterlingMedicalAdvice.com (SMA) and 844-SMA-TALK offers. Please share our page with your friends on WordPress, like us on Facebook @ and follow us on Twitter at @asksterlingmd.
Copyright © 2017 · Sterling Initiatives, LLC · Powered by WordPress